Saturday, June 2, 2012

Old and gettin' older






Grandma left yesterday morning.  Grandma and Grandpa from my side arrived the evening before.  Out with the old, in with the older.  It is startling what an infant will do to familial relationships.  Everybody wants to come visit now that we have a baby in the house, and now that we have a house.  Admittedly, Manhattan is a difficult place to visit and we offered few places to sleep that seemed appealing - air mattresses, couches that weren't quite long enough, yoga mats doubled up on a wood floor, large towels as sheets, reference books as pillows, etc. - none of them really sealed the deal when it came to visitors that were past their 40's.  We couldn't keep the 30 yr olds away though.  

Even Selavy occupied Rachel's apartment for temporary personal use when a perfectly good air mattress on a wood floor was waiting for him at my place.

Today we will go to breakfast, maybe take a nap afterwards, watch some tv, take a nap, go to the store, take a light nap, eat dinner, go to sleep.  In that order.

No, I kid.  It is quite nice that I have a good relationship with my father again.  It has been about 30 years since I've felt like I really like him.  Sometime during adolescence I saw him as a tyrant, for reasons I will perhaps one day explain, and I never quite let go of that feeling.  I've been told that excessive drug use can stunt emotional growth.  In some ways I am still a 17 year old boy, slightly angry at the world and wanting to fight it, even though I have endured a string of losses.

Speaking of...

Cucumber beetles have attacked the garden.  Those mother fuckers.  I will kill them, of course.  I just need to find out how, before they do any more damage.  We will discuss strategies at breakfast this morning.  I am prepared to kill, I want to kill.

I will kill.



.