Friday, March 23, 2012

I wouldn't say I've been missing it....






Well, things change.  After getting the news that our counter-offer had been accepted on the house we got a call from the bank a few hours later, wanting to know why there were so few weeks that I had worked 40 hours since moving to Sonoma.  We explained that we had a baby and that making the transition has been difficult, and that Rachel needed help along the way here and there with things she was incapable of doing while pregnant, and I occasionally got sick.   All reasonable explanations for missing hours here and there.

Nope.  A bank wants to see a very different type of behavior. They gravitate towards consistency and I do not represent their definition of the term.  Now we're waiting to hear the difference in the amount that we've been approved for to buy the place, potentially meaning that we will have to put much more money down.  Money we have but money we were very excited to not have to use for the downpayment.  We will see.  We should know more by later today.

Yesterday I went from ecstatic buoyancy to dispirited gloom when I looked up my attendance history and realized that they were quite right.  I am not a model citizen, not even close.  I am amazed that I still have a job, in fact.

But my day went from euphoric joy to a discouraged dejection in a matter of minutes.  I spent the remainder of the afternoon sipping beer, wine, then whiskey, late into the night.  I'll be amazed if I make it into work today.  Though Rachel has encouraged me with a seriousness that is impossible to mistake.  She has a new gravity of earnestness concerning my work attendance, specifically today, as this will be an 80 hour pay period if I can somehow make it through the evening.  I will put on a smile and pretend that there are not monkeys beating the back of my head with wiffle-ball bats all day.





Bob Porter: Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.

Peter Gibbons: I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.

Office Space


.