Monday, January 15, 2018

Pine Derby Downhill Racer




Nothing to report. I have written a handful of posts in the last few days and again have decided not to post them. 

Yesterday, Rhys and I went over to his buddy's house and made our pine derby racers. There is a race next weekend and we were preparing for it. I had not thought that the Scouts would be as much fun as it is, but it is, truly.

People with hobbies seem happier. I know this through photography. It is fun, of course, but there is more than that. It helps me frame my life a bit, to see it as a spectator as well as a participant. To experiment with the telling of my life.

Writing does this also, of course, though that leans more towards observation, even as I am relaying actual events that involve me. At those moments most of all. It is therapeutic, in a sense. Anyone is free to observe or psychoanalyze at will and draw their own conclusions, and yet I rarely agree with them.

So be it.

I'll try to keep our sessions short, interesting, and at in-network fees.

Forgive me those moments when I dawdle.



"In the end, writing is like a prison, an island from which you will never be released but which is a kind of paradise: the solitude, the thoughts, the incredible joy of putting into words the essence of what you for the moment understand and with your whole heart want to believe." - James Salter






.