Thursday, July 23, 2020

Black in Back





I love so much of the messaging from the left lately: As a nation, we are SO RACIST that even if we try to talk about it then we are using the paradigms of oppression. Luckily for me, none of my black friends buy into most of this bullshit, otherwise I would have to sit them down and have a talk with them. I would explain that I'm really triggered by their nonsensical and unsubstantiated views. 

I've been having two basic arguments on this subject lately. One involves talk of systemic racism and what metrics we might use to effectively gauge such a thing, and whether facts can be trusted. The other is a version of, Well, black communities bring this upon themselves. That second conversation arrives in a number of flavors, but you can tell when you're having it by there always being a mention of black-on-black crime, or black-on-white crime, or black-on-cop crime, or black-black-black-black-black. It's like arguing with an AC/DC album. 


I only engage in these conversations because my love life is falling apart and I am not very enlightened. I can't occupy my waking hours with enlightened thoughts the way so many of my spiritual friends can. 


Okay, fuck it all. I bought salmon steaks, shrimp, asparagus, and those cute little tasty potatoes. I am about to cook all of that up with a nice bottle of red wine and listen to something other than AC/DC. Almost anything other than that.