Tuesday, October 31, 2017

A Pirates Halloween


(Dress Rehearsal, 35mm Fuji color) 


Okay, maybe reading Camus out loud to the walls after a semi-traumatic but ultimately meaningless brush with local forest fires causes more problems than it solves. How was I supposed to know?

Beauty is unbearable, drives us to despair, offering us for a minute the glimpse of an eternity that we should like to stretch out over the whole of time. - Camus


I'll likely have more Halloween pics by tomorrow. Shooting 35mm film with manual lenses is more difficult for me than it should be. I think I need to find a way of shooting that guarantees the image is in focus. I rely on my own eyes - myopic, requiring glasses to see distances clearly - and have not swapped out the viewfinder glass of the camera with a diopter, so many of my shots are out of focus. Also, my subjects move quite a bit and are accustomed to how quickly I can shoot with a semi-pro automatic body. When shooting black and white film I choose a grainy stock - Ilford HP5. 

Everything, it seems, is working against me, except my love for the thing itself.  


Today is a pretty big day for the boy. He has been preparing for this his whole life by dressing up in costumes and eating candy. 







.