Wednesday, August 21, 2019

The Right Stuff




After 45 years of cycling I finally got hit by a car. It was very California - a speeding Tesla at the corner where the cool coffee shop is. The sloped hood of the car made my body's passage to the windshield easier. The windshield sacrificing its integrity for me, forever, but that must have been kinder than the hood or roof would have been. That now broken glass sent me the other direction into the middle of the intersection. I became very bewildered; never lost consciousness. Yet, there were some fuzzy minutes that passed through me. It must have been the roof that cracked my helmet.

The ambulance came and they took me to the trauma center in Napa. Another few minutes and I might have just walked it off. But this was a busy intersection and there were a lot of people who were not used to seeing blood. That became clear. They were screaming and being helpful, some more than others. Road rashes break lots of capillaries, but they are usually just surface injuries that produce good, red blood. They cut my shirt off, which made things simpler.

They found a cyst on my kidney when they did the CT scan. Nothing's broken, except my bike. It is ruined, beyond further consideration. After leaving the ER I went to the hotel/spa on the corner to retrieve it. The valet team marveled at the very miracle of my life. I'll be sore for days. They said that I look fine and that I should see the Tesla. Elon Musk is going to have to try a little bit harder than that.

I want to see the video from the Tesla's front camera. I don't guess that's just something they just email me. 

They should, if they cared more about photography, like me. 





.