Sunday, October 2, 2011

Barkley






There is something bothering the dog.  He has been chewing at himself.  We don't know why.  We suspect it is stress related. But we might just be projecting that diagnosis onto the poor creature from our own internal sources.  We can't figure it out.  He seems fine but he keeps biting away at himself.  I've tried to stop him by putting my hand between his his mouth and his coat.  He's started to bite at my hand, not hard, but just enough to let me know that he doesn't like it, that I'm an unwelcome interference.  It bothers us, he's never bit me before, ever.  We suspect it might be because he can detect the baby coming.  Something's underfoot, and for once it's not him.

It is unnerving. I just wish for one brief moment that he could understand English.  I would explain to him that he's still my buddy, nothing has changed.  I'd like to believe that he would understand and appreciate my words and all would be better.  But then for weeks I would probably be cursed with understanding genuine puppy anguish.  Every time we left the house I would be inside the heart and mind of the little lonely creature, wailing in panicked hysterical sobs that he wants to go with us, that he would do anything to go along, he'll wait in the car....

No, perhaps it is best that he has problems.  I mean, he doesn't have a job, he's got lots of free time, he doesn't really do anything productive most of the day... he should have some sort of disorder. It strikes me as a touch arrogant to not have any problems, right?  Maybe I'll check into puppy mood enhancers, puppictal, dogimbax, caninflex...  Nothing really strong, just some basic mood elevators.  

But that's the problem, I guess.  He seems fine.  He doesn't seem to be lonely.  I haven't caught him smoking pot and listening to psychedelic rock or anything, putting up Marilyn Manson posters in his closet.  He seems to enjoy family functions.  His appetite has not been affected. 

I'm going to monitor the situation and keep Cesar Milan on retainer just in case. I should probably focus on part-icicle physics rather than diverting my energies further into puppy psychology.

For my christian readers, please pray for him...





.