Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Pikey Strikers



(the most talked about individual game of bowling ever)


I'm not trying to claim that I'm the best bowler who's ever walked the face of the earth. I'll let others make that decision.  After having not bowled for many years, close to 30, last night I did. The first game was unexpectedly average for such a long hiatus from the sport in which I possess so many natural gifts. But the second game... 5 strikes and 3 spares, two flubbed frames, one very sadly at the last.  After starting out the 10th frame with a strike and then not getting the spare is the only cruel twist of fate that kept my score below 200, which is a perfect score in bowling.

People will be talking about that last frame for centuries.  It will naturally occur any time people discuss the Tyson-Douglas fight, The Miracle on Grass: America knocking England out of the World Cup in 50', and of course... The Miracle on Ice, 1980 Olympics, America defeats the Soviet Union....

People are already referring to my game as The Wonder of Blunder, The Miracle on Nice, The Cheer for Beer..... Well, I just did anyway.

Ok, I can't go on.  I was clearly born for leisure sports but have betrayed my talents and my calling.  I have brought shame upon myself and my family and the great sport of bowling by not responding to "the great call."  What more can be said, really?

Here is the team that did nothing at all to aid in my victory. I definitely could have done it without them:


(The Pikey Strikers)


I'll let the sports writers debate it from here on out.  The comparisons to Earl Anthony are already rolling in.  I have changed the sport forever.  


Some of my friends have worried about me lately.  Some of my recent posts have had a dark edge to them, an anger almost.  I suppose when you have that one moment that you are at the top... No, I'm trying to change the subject here. Let me see....

Very few people can understand what it's like to view the world from that pinnacle, that summit of greatness.  Bjorn Borg, Neil Armstrong, Genghis Khan, George W. Bush, etc...  

One radio personality has already called me Julius Seizure. 


"A great height from which to view the rest of the poor world.  A great height from which to fall." - Tom Wolfe, Bonfire of the Vanities



.