Saturday, May 6, 2017

... hands of two spiders and maybe one scorpion fucking



(17mm f2.8 - a thinning scourge, seen in bony retreat)


Sony is going to put Nikon out of business. They are, at the least, going to destroy the portion of the market that Nikon still barely holds (and Canon, also): the semi-pro market. This is the market in which I sit. I've known that this was coming, but I was invested too heavily in Nikon lenses. I do love the D810, but the mirrorless cameras are catching up in every metric that matters. The cameras are smaller, lighter, and have tremendous overall image quality. The Zeiss and Sony prime lenses are enviable. The DSLR is quickly going the way of the digital past. Decreased sales will result in decreased expectations in feature sets. R-n-D resources will dry up. The semi-pro market is in the mid stages of disruption, it seems. 

I might have to look into the Sony/Nikon adapter rings. That would save me the trouble of getting rid of my Nikon lenses, though I question how happy they would make me. I haven't done any research into what effect moving the lens elements away from the focal plane has on the resulting image. 

The aesthetics of a system matter, because I think and act like a spoiled child with a credit card, and Nikon is making me feel fat and old. Sony has somehow out-Asian'd Nikon, at least in the American market, where these things can still be discussed openly...  Parse Allah©


Definition of trump

  1. 1a :  a card of a suit any of whose cards will win over a card that is not of this suit —called also trump cardb :  the suit whose cards are trumps for a particular hand —often used in plural
  2. 2:  a decisive overriding factor or final resource —called also trump card
  3. 3:  a dependable and exemplary person

Consider those.


Nikon is set to release a newer version of the D810, so we'll see, but they'll likely just pursue the pixel count wars as that seems to be working out for them as much or more than anything else they're doing, which is fine by me, I do like the resolution, but I'm not a landscape photographer. I get all of my landscape pictures from Cato(dot)com. He just returned from a Patagonian excursionbition with many vistas to consider. 

My eyes have always lingered a second or two more on portraits than on landscapes. So, I do not trust my judgement in this regard. The earth has never been as appealing to me as has the story told in the darting and direct eyes of the captured, unexpectedly caught. Landscapes do not do for me what people do, though I see the charm in removing people from one's idea of nature. I have just never found it and claimed it as 

If the Fuji X-Pro1 had been full frame then I already would have completely jumped ship, and I'm sure that I'm not alone in feeling that way. If I was a wedding photographer then I would already be using Sony cameras exclusively, though such a claim is easy to make, and perhaps even stupid, but that has never stopped me before and I see little reason for my own standards to interfere in our discussion here.

I want, I want, I want... a woman named Veruca Salt... 

There is no end to the wanting. Fuck the Buddhists!

I don't mind rounding out my bad manners a bit with a little dose of stupidity every now and then. It can help keep my arrogance in check and is often more effective than being checked by a well meaning external contributor, which is usually easy enough to ignore. For some reason people seem preternaturally able to hoist their neuroses upon me, where they all seem to fit and find their center, as if they had been there all along. 

Who knows. Everybody's trying to heal everybody.




Photography is a strange hobby. It can make you feel contented for short periods of time, then again over longer periods of time, looking back. I always want something new - my wants are expensive - but then I look back at images I've captured on cheap cameras and they all seem worth it, also, or more so. 

So, what, then?


Not everybody should feel the same about the pictures that I take, but I do. CS always once said that what I would enjoy most about photography is documenting my life. He was right. I've done that, through the lives of the people around me.

I found this picture yesterday:



That boy, Jordan, will one day be a young man. I suspect he might enjoy having this image as much as I will enjoy having taken it.

Who knows. 


Time changes everything - me and then me, most of all. 










.