Monday, August 1, 2011

"Oh, the ringer was turned down."




(Rachel, dreaming of a world w/out phones)


Waking up alone is strange. Once you have gotten used to the other, the wife and puppy, well.... the spirit does not jump so easily back towards solitude. The wife is gone to the west coast.  I was left here to facilitate a hopeful transfer with my job.  It seemed a sensible solution at the time.  Now I feel slightly deserted.  This is partially because my wife's phone only seems to work when I'm not the one calling.  I won't bore you with the details but it is a perennial frustration of mine.  I am never able to get her on the phone by calling the appropriate number, hers.  There is always some reason why but never any solution for it.  

So last night I ignored her texts as I was going to sleep.  I thought that this would send the needed message.  Nope.  I just felt guilty and stupid.  There is no winning. Pregnant women get to act however they want, anything you do in retaliation just ends in dismal, shameful failure.  The most inane excuses are expected to be accepted for their behavior :  "Oh, it was locked in the trunk of the car.".... "I was walking through a doorway.", "There's something wrong with my ringtones.", "I was chatting with a toll-booth attendant.", "Does this thing have an antenna on it?", "Your picture didn't come up when you called.", "I wasn't sure which Sean Cusick you were."... It is endless.

You end up just sounding like a lunatic examining the obvious, so you stop.  It's the right thing to do, to just shut up. When wanting your pregnant wife to be accessible by phone begins to sound unreasonable it's best to just withdraw, rethink, re-plan. 

So, that's what I'm working on....


Next item of business: 


(Rachel, w/out phone)


.