Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Pilfering




I am lifting what few photos I have from my old work computer to use here. The above is above. It's among the first and only medium format images I have ever taken - Kiev 80 camera, Ilford HP5+ 120 film. Everything is everywhere when you get older. Much is lost, some is rediscovered. I need to rearrange my life, but will instead write about it for several years before committing

Commit is a funny word.


I am in bed now, hoping for the events of the day to fade into darkness soon. I have listened to two John Fahey albums (Days Have Gone By and America) and next up is Low's Things We Lost In The Fire. If you have any curiosity about music then you should listen to all three of those links. the first two are from a folk fingerpicker, the other is lo-fi dream pop (produced by Steve Albini, of Pixies' Surfer Rosa fame. Mimi Parker, the drummer, just passed away a few months ago). 

All three albums are quality, with fascinating production values. All albums that make so much more sense when listened to in the dark solitude of quiet night. 

I bought a mixer which arrived today (I paid less than what is shown there), so I am trying to remind myself exactly what it is that I love about certain albums' production values. So much comes down to moods that you are able to capture. The best things that I have ever done were never the most well produced things I had done. I've always found that aspect of the listening experience fascinating. It's not always true for the music that I am a fan of, but it is not entirely untrue in that regard, either. I have a reasonable balance between newer, digital toys and some of what are now considered "classic" samplers and effects processors, so hopefully I can utilize those sonic disparities and advantages. I hope not to commit too many recording embarrassments.

I'll have a series of guitar pedals hooked up to the mixer soon - Space Echo Emulators, cheap analog reverbs, dusty and crusty old multi effects, compressors, parametric eqs, gates, a wah-wah pedal, even an old Alesis Quadraverb that I gave to CS but then took back after I found out that one of my favorite ambient-techno albums (Pentamerous Metamorphosis) used it almost exclusively as their fx unit for that mix. I don't think he ever forgave me, though he still has the much more useful and meaningful Tascam 4-Track cassette recorder.  He's letting a raccoon gnaw on it in the attic the last time I asked.  

I am being very link-happy in tonight's post. Perhaps that means this is a good time for me to stop writing. I am referencing the things of which I am writing. That can't be a good thing.

My literalness is meta-literality. I stole that. 






.