Friday, September 20, 2019

The best medicine





It's the nicest thing I've ever owned - the bike. Is that silly? There is a fineness to the design which translates to the ever-important feel of the thing. I rode it yesterday and today. I set a personal record for climbing a hill that I have climbed many times. It is all silly. At my age the foolishness and shame of it either dissolves or doubles depending on whether I remain in good shape or if I injure myself. I am often on the fence between the two. The times in my life where I felt the most physical pain where when I was in the worst shape. Nature abhors a fat-ass. 

There are other things going on in my life, of course. But the bike is what I have been thinking about. I am like a boy when I get a new bike. It represents to me, still, a sense of self-propelled freedom that no other pursuit or project does. It is rare that I would describe myself as unhappy at the end of a ride. It reduces depression and anxiety. As long as I can avoid dementia then they'll probably let me do it for life.

I'll move on, but please know that I am happy. 






.