Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Canyon Grail CF SL 8.0





I bought a new bike today, a replacement for the one that was destroyed. Life goes on. I would write about the details but such things appeal primarily to the lost and lonely. How a bike feels to its rider is all that matters. It is what is known as a gravel bike, designed to do everything adequately. You might think I'm kidding, but that is its charm. It is not dedicated to being a strictly road or trail bike. It can do either, so it does both modestly when compared to the more specialized bikes that I have always gravitated towards and sought to own. It is also the most expensive bike that I have ever bought by a fair amount. We'll see.

CS pointed out correctly and immediately that I could have bought a Leica... I'll use the bike more, though it will produce less, nothing really. If a bike does anything it is to convert, not to produce. I feel no special need to compare bicycles and cameras. I'm happy to have both, and have never tried to use them together. 

I am a happy bike nerd.

It has full SRAM Force 1 components, a 1x11 drivetrain, the hydraulic braking system being paramount in my desire, a unique handlebar designed to reduce the amount of road vibration felt, a seat post that likewise absorbs shock, tubeless ready 40mm tires, which I will replace. I do not care for white walls, and might possibly go down to 35mm.  

Simple, elegant, functional, fun. 















.