Monday, February 24, 2020

Belief




A friend asked me if I still write here. I lied and said yes. I qualified that I'm just writing notes at this point, not essays. Essays are too 20th century. Almost everything is, now. When I was a young man I thought that knowing as much as I casually could about the past would make me seem erudite. But now knowing anything just makes me sound aged.

To wit, I had a comparative discussion of Van Morrison, Bob Dylan, and Rod Stewart's respective "standards" albums this morning, to give you a glimpse. The verdict: Morrison and Dylan can stay, Stewart has to go.

Who are those people, you ask? Oh, just some old crooners from the big band era. I mean, there were some really big bands back then. For a brief time the counter culture became the culture. We were led to believe that if we did enough drugs then we just might destroy capitalism. We simply never made it all the way around the killing of the ism, though the capital did not survive.

But I did not come here today to note the existence of rock and roll, nor the absence of my previous income. I didn't come in here for any reason at all. So, take note of that and go.













.