Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Our Day of Saint Valentine, comrades




It's true, we often go on bourgeoisie vacations. Two of them in the last three weeks, another coming up in mid-March. The picture above was taken at the hotel we were at - the Ritz-Carlton at Northstar, near Truckee, CA. I blame the bourgeoise. I had long ago forgotten the difference between the words bourgeoisie and bourgeoise, though now when checking... all my love of Marxism came flurrying back to me at sunset. We take these vacations in service of the people.

Ok, enough stupid political talk. We came back from Tahoe last night. I promptly fell asleep for about an hour, woke up just in time to eat a little dinner, now I am headed back to work for the people.

I have nothing prepared for Valentine's Day. My fear is that this absence of preparation will haunt me. Who knows what Rachel has prepared. She is indefatigable in matters of formal celebration. Every year the holidays are decorated, celebrated, and then boxed up for the following year. She is a machine made from mirth. It has become a family tradition, this tireless and unending seasonal work.  I probably align more with Ebenezer Scrooge, though let's not forget who is dancing in the end, after facing the three knowing ghosts. 

It never occurred to me that this might be a reference to the three wise men who, according to the Christian myth, visit Jesus upon his birth. 

Well, maybe not. CS just pointed out that there are four ghosts. There was his dead business partner, also.


I have begun shopping for all of the things that the boy and I will need when we depart on our two week camping trip in June - air mattress pumps, fire extinguishers, maybe a new tent. We might even rent one of those leisure pimp vans, a Mercedes, though I will need to check into prices. We are bourgeoisie, but maybe not quite that much, as to be part of the ruling class. I am happy camping in tents as long as the air mattress works and holds air throughout the night. I enjoy waking up with the sounds of nature all around me - wolves, bears, snakes, the cries and screams of the lost and dispossessed, etc.

Wait, did I even mention that trip here yet? Perhaps I haven't. Well, without offering up too much boredom for one morning, the list of parks and places we hope to visit departing and returning, in order, from Sonoma are these:

- Sequoia and Kings Canyon
- Mojave Desert (just driving through)
- Las Vegas (visiting friends)
- Grand Canyon 
- Monument Valley (just driving through)
- Arches
- Canyonlands 
- Bryce Canyon 
- Zion 
- Las Vegas (if we still have friends)
- Yosemite Valley 
- Home

Yes, an ambitious two-week camping trip. Perhaps a luxury vehicle is what is needed here. I guess it just depends on what sound systems they have installed. 



 





.