Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Married to the Widow




It's a euphemism for being executed by way of the guillotine - married to the widow. I finished the Sante book. It was, again, brilliant. Two history books in a row, both about cities, by the same author, though... It's time for a different type of book. The next, I believe, might be a memoir by a Nobel laureate. It's time for me to get my mind out of the Parisian gutters. Sante never glamorizes the underside of life or the dispossessed, but clearly that is where his interests and fascinations are. Oh, wait, the Nobel memoir is a French author. 

I've been telling Raquel lately that she looks like an expensive French whore. She seems to love this. She understands that I sometimes immerse myself in the book I'm reading. It is my custom and habit. 


I have deep been down inside a rabbit hole of classic rock today - Eric Clapton, The Allman Brothers - hours of both of them, mostly. Clapton can be a genuine bore, both as a musician and singer. He does have some stellar moments on the guitar, though. The Brothers South were great before they were widely recognized as such, and then again well after. Their album Idlewild South is pretty great, as is Brothers and Sisters. If you can stomach southern blues rock, which I can.


I've been putting together a small home studio again. Over the course of the pandemic I pulled gear out of the closets and plugged it all in to find out it was all mostly destroyed from the heat of twenty years of storage. I found a repair guy in Oakland and started getting some of the classic samplers fixed. In doing so I also started stacking my computer with some of the new computer-based stuff. I kept pulling all the hardware out of the closets and setting it up on the kitchen table. Sometime this last week I finally decided that I wanted more access to my gear. So, I've found a way to set everything up in the house. I hope. 

This might mean that I might start working towards completing some music again, not just endless noodling. I still have friends that own record labels. Though I think that if I were to have an ambition it would be working towards a collection of material that might function as an album, rather than singles. That's one of the many things I misjudged when I was known for making and playing music. I should have worked towards making an album. An album is (hopefully) a less ephemeral effort. 

Well, I'll believe it when I see it. Albums are so 1970s.

I'm still cool. That will be my new mantra: I'm still cool.







I'm still cool. 






.