Thursday, March 23, 2023

Concussed



Sugarbowl



I might have a mild concussion. The symptoms align with a fall I had on Tuesday. It has been a while since I've had a fall where my head hit hard. It was in deep powder, even. I fell backwards and there was no powder to stop my head. It snapped backwards and hit what seemed to be the ground. It was probably just ice. But the shock was enough to cause me a few seconds of pulling myself together before I stood back up on the board. 

I don't do much photography when we snowboard. I try to do nothing but the thing itself. I have recorded hours of video footage with the camera you see on my helmet here. I never do anything with it. I barely ever even wear the camera. I might have the footage of me going down backwards. Who knows. Watching footage of yourself snowboarding is boring. I wonder why I have any of it at all. 


The boy's spring break is almost over. He spent it with his parents and their friends in Tahoe. I try not to feel down about such things. But there is something there to feel. I would wish him to be with his friends instead of adults. It must be difficult at times to believe that all of it is happening because of him - the vacations, the time together, the plans to provide experience, the effort to generate pleasant memories. It is impossible to say which of those things might be happening otherwise, or in that way. He still has little choice. He is along for the ride. In just a few years he will probably choose adventures all his own. Or, that is what parents tell themselves. Some kids never launch, they lack all curiosity about the greater world. 


  
Well, perhaps I do have a concussion - looking at this screen is making me feel as if I'm going to vomit. 




.