Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Back in the Saddle





Sally Mann's book - Hold Still - is interesting, fascinating at times. She is a good writer and makes an interesting story of the making of her images. It makes me envious of her free time. I hear CS often bemoan the squandering of time and he is right, it is bemoanment worthy. 

It's not a word, don't look it up.


I reached out to an old friend today, it was her birthday - 36. We laughed that I will be 51 this month and that I was her age when we met. She was the bartender at what become my NY living room. It was where I entertained guests. Few that I knew had the resources to enjoy a place that could have guests. If you are a social person then bars are your easiest, if not only, option there. They were where I met everybody. Now, I can not imagine sitting in one of them for an afternoon, though I can remember doing so many times. Not any specific time, just the amalgam that becomes a single fading memory. Tricia is her name, perhaps I've mentioned her here before. She bought a yacht and was living on it for a while, trying to find herself. I suspect the burdens of parenting may have curbed that lifestyle, though I did not ask. I just wished her a happy birthday and acknowledged how hard life can be when that was how she responded. It can be. 

I am working on a wedding playlist for two friends. They will be married the day after my birthday this month. They have asked me to provide the music, which I have gladly agreed to do. It is more challenging than I would have first guessed.


This will give you a partial idea:




And this, a Lucinda Williams cover:




I have learned about a handful of new artists making this playlist, which is always fun.

Like Mayra Andrade's Afeto:



So far I like her ^^^ entire album, Manga.

Lots of musical ground to cover, quickly. It's a pleasant challenge. I am often tempted to use old familiar tracks - at least those familiar to me - but I am trying to make a playlist that I'll want to listen to, also.

Perhaps I will post it here. We'll see.


Almost my entire sense of personal freedom in life is wrapped up in cycling. I have discovered that when I push myself back in the seat of my new bike it becomes much more comfortable. It took me almost two weeks to discover the sweet spot where the seat-post really does absorb a significant bit of road shock. 

I am trying to find ways to continue riding in comfort. It was the main reason for me buying the new bike, the tradeoff between lowered resistance and comfort. The first roughly equates to speed, the second to possible distance. Yesterday I climbed 200 feet across 23 miles in an hour and 40 minutes.

See?

I have nothing to write about, really. Certainly that much can be seen. 








.