Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Radical Self-Insecticides





Ugh. Burning Man is burning up all of my free time. I am as a man on fire, also. Part of me likes it, at least the flammable parts. 

The reports are now coming in from reputable sources that there are bugs everywhere on the playa this year. I would be lying to say that it doesn't matter. The environment is already pushing the limits of the inhospitable. Pestilence is prohibitory. Did the Old Testament teach us nothing at all about science and desert sustainability? I had planned to ride in on a giant locust at sunrise. 

It does not require an advanced degree in biology to surmise that once there are more people and more food then there will be even more bugs. I hate to be a doomsayer… but, things are looking more and more doubtful. Few experiences are rich enough for me to suffer in this way to prove enjoyment and pleasure to myself.

A terrain that tough can dispense of bugs quickly. A heat wave will do it, particularly a heat wave of organochloride. I wonder if the Bureau of Land Management has any old canisters of DDT lying around they wouldn't mind to trade? 

In these topsy-turvy times, one must wonder about such things.




.