Thursday, August 25, 2011

Handy Wacks





I have killed off what few readers I had by not posting.  Moving is difficult, nearly impossible, and a long time yet until it is over.  By then we will have hopefully found a place to buy and the whole process will start over again.

Yesterday we went into San Francisco.  I drove all over the city.  From North Beach to Golden Gate Park and back again, meandering along as I went.  I drove by City Lights Bookstore, through Chinatown, along Mission, and Market.  I stopped by to chat with a few friends here and there then drove back to Sonoma with the wife to walk the dog, Barkley.  Ah, domesticity, bliss.  

I've been falling asleep and waking up on NYC time still.  By 9:30 last night I was completely under the spell of the Eastern Standard Time.  By 5am this morning it was the same, rising like a zombie at the appointed hour.  It has been almost a week, one might assume that my body would start adjusting.  Not yet.

I got hit by a truck yesterday.  I was riding my bike in the downtown square and he pulled into a parking spot that I could not see approaching ahead of me on the right.  As he did he knocked the bike down, my phone went flying, but I remained on my feet, stepping off the bike as it went down and underneath the truck.  There was no serious damage though, to either the bike or the phone, so all was agreed upon and forgiven. We were both partially at fault.  

As I wrote in response to a friend yesterday:  I am okay.  Shaken, not stirred.

The experience has me thinking about getting a bike helmet.  Some of the shoulders on the roads around here are too thin to ride on, which puts the bike partially in the lane of traffic.  There is much danger both in the road and off the side, near certain doom at times.  I suppose there also might be an increased number of people drinking and driving here, though I've heard nothing concrete in support of that assertion.

Well, I'll leave you with the image below. It was posted on a community board.  I stood and stared at the image, and wondered, for perhaps a minute or more.   

What? I thought.


  

.