Thursday, December 16, 2010

Opinionated before his time





The world is upended. Batman is about to reveal his identity... C'est La Vie...

This morning I will go and pick up my flash, the Nikon SB-700 Speedlight.  I've been reading strobist and they seem to think that I don't need this flash, that the Lumopro LP160 is all that's needed.  But there is always time to get one of those later, right?

I have  worked the last 9 out of 10 days, today will be 10 out of 11, and then I have three days off.  They will fly by, I know it.  I will have my new camera and my flash and lenses and I will experiment with things I haven't experimented with in years (lighting) and hopefully I will have something to show.  I want to start shooting subjects with more preparation.  I just walk around Manhattan taking snapshots.  I'm ready to start manipulating factors outside of the camera.  Lights....

I will go here this weekend and look at instant photography.  In some ways I have been using my digital cameras as instant cameras.  I rarely do any post-production processing on any of the images I take, though that is the next step that I am eager to take.  I have Aperture and will be getting Lightroom soon.  Many people seem to suggest Lightroom, so that is what I lean towards. I don't know enough about either of them to have an opinion, but that's never stopped me before, so.... I've always found that having experience with something skews what would otherwise be purely untainted opinion...

Yes, of course.

My wife and I watched one of our favorite movies in bed last night and drank a bottle of wine from the vineyard where we got married.  It was delicious and we found the wine to be quite intoxicating... We watched one of our favorite romantic comedies.  Yes, it is not all Fellini and Antonioni over here.  We watch Barry Sonnenfeld films sometimes too.  Actually I just looked it up and he was only the DP on the film we watched last night.

My Batman instinct not wanting to give away too much information this early in the morning...

Ok, clearly I still have nothing left to say.  It has been that way for days.  Work has beaten all conversation out of me.  The daily soul-crushing defeat of having a job, etc.

"The best way to appreciate your job is to imagine yourself without one." - Oscar Wilde